Exuberant Bastard

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Converting Black and White






I have mixed feelings about converting to black and white, and I've got even stronger convictions against "selective" color black and whites (i.e. red rose, black and white everything else). I do like black and white conversions when I feel that it allows the primary subject to stand out. I like the picture to the left because it's so fluid compared to the awkward stumbling of most children on a dance floor. Foot kicked up, both hands flowing, and eyes closed in concentration. You'd almost think it was her wedding to have.

Many programs out there will convert a color picture to black and white with simple De-saturation. Try messing with the color curves or filters to get an effect you like, for instance increased grain for that film feel, or upping the contrast/brightness. I might try again with the picture of the dancing flower girl, but for now I'm satisfied with the results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home