Exuberant Bastard

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Capture

While I'm all for headshots that involve somebody smiling at the camera, I really do like the ones where they're not looking at me, and they don't necessarily expect me to take a picture. I do love pictures where a genuine smile or laughter is captured, but I like off beat natural expressions that people don't always get to see of themselves. This is my good friend Sara, she scrubbed up and pretty for our night on the town seeing the touring production of "Wicked". I've been meaning to take some portraits of her for forever, but the opportunity didn't really present itself until yesterday.

We're in a little alcove next to the Georgian Terrace Hotel, a good bit before our show. It was a bit weird at first because I'm not used to posing somebody in a public place, who isn't obviously in an event.... like a wedding. Sara proved up to the task though, and I think we were able to eeke out some keepers with her talent, and my mediocrity.

Camera-philes, the above photo is with my trusty 20d, the venerable and affordable 85mm F1.8, my 420ex flash as fill off of a Demb Flip-it flash diffuser. My only gripe about this particular shot was that I accidentally had the camera in the default "green" auto setting, so I only have this in a JPEG format. For those of you that haven't moved to shooting RAW yet, do it. Get bigger memory cards (or more of them) and you'll find with patience and a little know how you can control so much more in your images to get the end result you want.


I'll post a few more of the keeper from this session tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home