Exuberant Bastard

Thursday, April 13, 2006

White Rabbit

Oddly enough, I typed in this post's title with the intent of alluding to Alice in Wonderland's tardy lagomorph. But I guess you could also associate it with this coming weekend's sucrose packin', plastic grass dealin', egg shell hidin' fiend himself, the Easter Bunny. So I might as well touch on both my intended and unintented meanings.

I'm always running late it seems. Even when I wake up 2 hours before I need to go to work, I still manage to dilly-dally my way into a few minutes of trouble. Not that work is strict or that I'm paid by the hour. I don't even have a long drive. Funny thing is, it's usually all within the same time frame that this happens, so I'm actually on a schedule, just not in synch with everybody else's. I've even tried to offset my clocks to 10 minutes ahead of time, so as to rush me. Though I've done this for so long I think it's actually counterproductive, because I always compensate for the difference in my head. I think I just need to manage my time better, though I always say that. Or I need a red vest and a pocket-watch.

Did you know that the Easter Bunny should really be an Easter Hare? For the short and quick answer, the main difference in the ear sizes and if the young are born naked or hairy. Don't blame me, blame some German-Americans who made up the story that a buck-toothed mammal laid art deco eggs. My personal vote is for the Australian Easter Bilby. Apparently rabbits and hares are considered to be pests so there was a movement to replace the bunny/hare with a long eared marsupial rat. It's freaking ugly, and I'm not sure people should be eating a chocolate representation of such an animal. Also, considering it's minute size... wouldn't laying an egg 60% of your own volume hurt? Explain that to the kids.

There are all sorts of strange and interesting facts/fiction/myths surrounding Easter, and being a Catholic I can say I'm familiar with most, but today was the first day I actually thought that the Easter Bilby/Bunny/Hare/Turtle didn't make sense, and I decided to look it up. Just goes to show that the older you get the wiser you get, though my personal wisening maybe slightly delayed with regards to most others'.

1 Comments:

  • Ew! That Bilby bugger is UGLY! But if he's in the form of chocolate or maybe even covered in chocolate, I'm sure I'd still eat him :)

    By Blogger JC, at 4/14/2006 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home