Exuberant Bastard

Friday, April 07, 2006

A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere

Artist: Death Cab for Cutie
Venue: Tabernacle (Atlanta)
Opening Act: The Cribs

Audience: Myself, M-scribbles, and every girl under the age of 21 in the greater atlanta area, and their respective boy toys + mothers.

Even though I was surrounded by quite possibly the girliest audience seen since a Jack Johnson or a John Mayor concert, I had a great time last night at the Tabernacle. The opening band was the Cribs (an english rock family trio). Simple, but highly energetic and punchy, it almost seemed a strange juxtoposition with the overly contemplative Deathcab. ( Take in mind that most of this tour Franz Ferdinand is the Co-headliner with Deathcab, which helps the relative incongruitity smooth out) I could listen to the Cribs, but I don't think the Deathcab audience was prepped to be rocked hard so early in the evening, though in my eyes they did a good job, but probably went over the heads of the O.C. crowd that seemed to infest the Tabernacle.

When the main event started, I felt so soiled by the blinding ignorant flashes from every single digital camera that emerged from a purse or pocket. Ben Gibbard's so lucky to not be epileptic. I'm a photographer by nature, and if you're listening out there, your shitty little digital camera's flash is quite possibly the most flaccid and annoying thing since Bob Dole's pitch. If you really want pictures of your favorite artist, sneak in a small pocket film camera with iso 1600 film. You'll probably think you're some kinda Liebovitz if you compare the results to your $300 "shit"ital cam. It's just plain rude these days to be part of the stalkerazzi.

Once the flash flood subsided, some actual music could be enjoyed. For the most part, everything sounded immaculate. Majority of the material was plucked from Plans and Transatlanatiscim, along with a smattering of older fan favorites. Bodies were moving, girls were swooning and the house got LOUD. So loud that a few times Ben's mike had to be upped just to cut over the band trying to cut over the crowd. Not to make a new generalization of the fanbase, but there were alot of females there. It's my guess that with the higher ratio of soprano voices, the db levels were on par with a shuttle launch. I was riding in a vehicle powered by girls screams, and it made me dizzy, but I had a great time. Death Cab is a great live band, because they're so spot on. They maintain the sound of the album, but at the same time, it's more energetic, and has a great spontaneous feel to it. The instrumental sections of songs were highlighted and savored, as opposed to just being time filler. A few times Ben broke out into singer/guitarist/percussionist all in the same song, and then blew the crowd away when a second but diminutive drum kit was brought out so he could jam and trade diddles with drummer Jason Mcgerr.

All in all a great show, with the only shortcomings coming from the crowd, I can say that I'll definately catch the next Death Cab show. And I suspect my unwitting victim in all of this ,M-scribbles, would too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home