Exuberant Bastard

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sometimes Boo's are good. (well in this case great!)

Ha! I really haven't been into halloween for quite some time. I mean a guy of my stature doesn't really need the all you can eat sugar-ho-down that this particular holiday offers, and I'm not really keen on better than your average horror flicks. What was wrong with Freddy and Jason? I haven't even seen those wildly japanesey grey dead children long hair of doom flicks either. But I do appreciate a good costume, be it concept, design, execution or exhibition I find it's my favorite part of freakshows like Dragon*Con. Throughout the images of my childhood, there exists amusing snaps of my brother, my cousins and myself in strange garb. Filipino Cowboys? It could happen. (pictures taken by my Pops, who I just now realize is the original inspiration for my love of photography).

I'm going home this weekend to hang with my parents and deliver some kind of tasty Ipod music solution for my sister for her birthday, but one of my missions is to find a picture of the best Halloween costume I ever wore. My mom sewwed together 2 Native American (ah come on, Lil' Indians!) outfits for my brother and me complete with props bought at some kitschy tourist trap in Wisconsin. Or was it K-mart? All in all the same thing really. Anyway, I remember vividly the reactions we got where ever we went and my Mom glowed at the attention her crafts-womanship got her. Heck it was even WARM. If you've ever trick-or-treated in Chicago, you know the end of October is really just the time most kids first learn of frostbite. Here's something that should bring a warm smile to your face though...




Awwww, this darling fall-chicken was in the clutches of a maternal catwoman. Danny and Michelle had come down for a mini-vacation, and on their last day we decided to head to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens with the intention of admiring some flowers and the possibility of admiring the fascinatingly strange visions of Niki De Saint Phalle in mosiac form. Acompanied by our friends in blog-shenanigans Shaun and Maura, we made our trek to the "flowery part" of Atlanta. In doing so we stumbled across Goblins in the Garden, the ABG's annual Halloween + Children celebration. It made the experiance a bit more crowded, but thoroughly enjoyable because of the little goblins present. So we got to do some people watching, brushing up on our botany, art appreciation, and in my case photography of all kinds.

Flower Near-Macro Shot (Maura named it as a snapdragon, and she made it talk to our bemusement):



Candid Portrait of Bloggers who can't stand real Sunlight in place of office flourescents:



A Sun kissed Mother to Be:



Purty Rocks (Shiny and Reflecty):



There's also a bunch of grapes, a cracked self portrait, Frogs a la' Dominguez, Scarecrows, and Air Jordan. I invite you to leave your own comments on the pictures that strike your fancy ;-).

5 Comments:

  • I can't believe you're gonna leave us hanging - I was hoping to scroll down and see a picture of you as a Cowboy or Indian Chief ! =(

    By Blogger ami, at 11/09/2006 1:12 PM  

  • I looked at your pictures, but can't seem to figure out how to leave comments on them. Is that only an option to someone who has a Picasa Web account?

    By Blogger ami, at 11/09/2006 1:14 PM  

  • That's a good question. I guess I've always clicked on the albums through my own account. Lemme do the research. Also, regarding the images of Young Kelvin, you speak to soon! I'll be posting those as soon as I find them and scan them.

    -k

    By Blogger Nevkil, at 11/09/2006 1:19 PM  

  • It would seem that in order to comment on Picasa web, membership must be had. It's free though. And the default box is much roomier than Flickr's initially. Flickr has no limit to file size, just a limit to total data uploaded in a month. Since I'm still shopping around for what's the best image hosting out there, I decided I'll stick with the picasaweb thing for now. I might break down and change it to Flickr, but my hopes is that Google Eats Yahoo.

    By Blogger Nevkil, at 11/09/2006 1:26 PM  

  • I did sign up for Picasa web just to play around and see how the comments worked. The one thing I didn't like was how long it takes for the pictures to load up when you click on the individual thumbnails. Is that just my computer being slow?

    Anyway, when you finish shopping around, post about what you thought about the different options. I shopped around a bit myself a few months ago and then just went with flickr because I didn't have much time and I liked the community features of it. But, I'm always willing to try out some new programs as they become available.

    By Blogger ami, at 11/11/2006 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home